Friday, March 11, 2011

i heart jeffrey (& hoboken)

My boyfriend and I just celebrated 3 years of "us"!!! In the words of Nicki Minaj "No, I'm not lucky, I'm blessed. Yes!". I love gift giving and I always have to put a lot of thought into it. I think I am actually really good at it. (If I have given anyone a bad gift, I am sorry! hee hee)

This anniversary we decided to scale back a bit because we are going to London and Paris this September (woo hoo!). We agreed to go to a nice dinner and get each other something small. I still wanted to wow him so I thought really hard about what would impress him and be something special he would remember. I needed my little bit of money to work magic.

Jeff and I met shortly after I moved from South Bend, Indiana to Hoboken, New Jersey. We more recently have moved in together, and out of Hoboken to a nearby town for more space and lower rent. We have a great place, but I still miss Hoboken a little bit. Hoboken was good to to us, very good to us. It was the perfect town for a new couple. We would take walks to pick up fresh bagels on Washington Street, go to the dog park with my puppy, inhale cupcakes at the local bakery after a few cocktails, watch outdoor movies on the pier on weekends, and go out for fancy dinners made by celebrity chefs. Did you notice a trend there??? Yes, I mentioned a lot of activities that involved eating. My boyfriend and I share a love for GREAT food! Jeff is a hobby chef and a foodie (he totally hates that word f.y.i.). So let's see here HOBOKEN, the place where we met and fell in love and food appreciation. Hmmmmm... I got it!

I found this great shop on etsy that makes wooden cutting boards in the shape of states and even countries. http://www.etsy.com/people/AHeirloom?ref=ls_profile  And the best part????! They will carve a heart into the cutting board on any city you tell them! I ordered a New Jersey cutting board and had them put the heart on Hoboken.

The cutting board is made to order so AHeirloom requires 2.5 weeks lead time. It was well worth the wait, I could not believe the quality! The wood was absolutely beautiful! I bought a small card  and wrote a little note about us and Hoboken. 

Jeff loved it!

He even said we should hang it on the wall like a work of art! Men do not feel the need to hang stuff on walls people, this is HUGE! (AHeirloom, if you are reading this, a small hook on the back might be a nice optional add on to these beautiful boards!

Jeff and I ended up going to The River Cafe in Brooklyn, NY to celebrate our anniversary. (Brooklyn... the same city where his cutting board was made... coincidence? I think not! There are great things in Brooklyn my friends!) The food was amazing, the view was breathtaking and enjoying it all with the love of my life was... perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment